Charles D. Rice
Phone: 864 656-0449
FAX: 864 656-0435
- Post-doc. Tumor Immunology & Neuroimmunology, Medical College of Virginia, 1989-1993
- Ph.D. College of William and Mary, 1989
- M.S. Virginia Commonwealth University, 1986
- B.S. Virginia Commonwealth University, 1980
- Comparative and veterinary immunology.
- Cellular and molecular aspects of inflammation and its role in chronic diseases, including cancer.
- Immunological adaptation to extreme environments.
- Immunopharmacology and environmental toxicology.
- Mechanisms driving susceptibility vs resistance to pathogens and environmental contaminants.
- Babcock, A.S., Anderson, A.L., and Rice, C.D. 2013. Indirubin-3’-(2,3 dihydroxypropyl)-oximether (E804) is a Potent Modulator of LPS-Stimulated Macrophage Functions. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology 266:157-166.
- Whitehead, A., Dubansky, B., Bodinier, C., Garcia, T., Miles, S., Pilley, C., Raghunathan, V., Roach, J., Walker, N., Walter, R., Rice, C. D., Galvez, F. Genomic and physiological footprint of the Deep Water Horizon oil spill on resident marsh fishes. PNAS 2011 Sep 26
- Bossart, G.D., Romano, T.A., Peden-Adams, M.M., Schaefer, A., McCulloch, S., Goldstein, J.D., Rice, C.D., Saliki, J.T., Fair, P.A., Reif, J.S. Clinicoimmunopathologic findings in Atlantic bottlenose dolphins (Tursiops truncatus) with positive cetacean morbillivirus titers. Dis Aquat Org 97:103-112. 2011.
- Marsh, M.B., and Rice, C.D., Development, characterization, and technical applications of a c-type lysozyme-specific monoclonal antibody (M24-2). Comparative Immunology, Microbiology & Infectious Diseases. 33(6):15-23, 2010.
- Hunt, L.R., and Rice, C.D., Ontogeny of lymphoid organ development in the estuarine killifish, Fundulus heteroclitus. J. Anatomical Record, 10:1236-1245, 2008.
- Springs, A.E.B., and Rice, C.D., The effects of indirubin-3’-monoxime, a novel AhR ligand, on stress and toxicity-related gene/protein expression in human U937 cells undergoing differentiation and activation. J. Immunotoxicology 3:1-10, 2006
- Van Veld, P.A., Rutan, B.J., Sullivan, C.A., Johnston, L.D., Rice, C.D., Fisher, D.F., and Yonkos, L.T. A universal assay for vitellogenin in fish mucus and plasma. Environ Toxicol Chem. 24:3048-52, 2005
- Karsten, A.H., and Rice, C.D., C-Reactive Protein Levels as a Biomarker of Inflammation and Stress in the Atlantic Sharpnose Shark (Rhizoprionodon terraenovae) from Three Southeastern USA Estuaries. Marine Env. Res. 58:745 – 749, 2004
- Regala, R.R., and Rice, C.D., Mycobacteria, but not mercury, induces metallothionein (MT) protein in striped bass, Morone saxatilis, phagocytes, while both stimuli induce MT in channel catfish, Ictalurus punctatus, phagocytes. Mar. Environ. Res. 58:717 - 72, 2004.
- Zhu, Y., Rice, C.D., Pang, Y., Pace, M., and Thomas, P. Cloning, and expression and characterization of a novel membrane progestin receptor and evidence it is an intermediary in meiotic maturation of fish oocytes. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 100:2231-2236, 2003.
- Holsberger, D.A., Becker, A.E., Thurston, R., and Rice, C.D., Expression of a hepatocyte growth factor activator protein in turkey (Meleagris gallopavo) deferent duct epithelial cells. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. (in press, 2002)
- Chen, H., Waldbieser, G.C., Rice, C.D., Elibol, B., and Hanson, L.A. Isolation and characterization of a channel catfish natural resistance associated macrophage protein (Nramp) gene. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 26:517-531, 2002.
- Burton, J.E., I.R. Doriciak, T.E. Schwedler, and Rice, C.D., Plasma lysozyme and hepatic CYP1A activities during a chronic dietary exposure to tributyltin (TBT) and 3,3’,4,4’,5-pentachlorobiphenyl (PCB-126) in Channel Catfish, Ictalurus punctatus. J. Toxicology and Environmental Health. 65:589-602, 2002.
- Micro 414/614 -Immunology
- Biosc 825 - Comparative & Veterinary Immunology
- Biosc 417/617 - Marine Biology
- ENTOX 810 - Immunotoxicology
- Amy L. Anderson (Ph.D. student)
- Josephine V. Wojdylo (Ph.D. student)
- Rayna A. Silva (Ph.D. student)
- Maria L. Rodgers (Ph.D. student)
- American Association of Immunologists (AAI)
- Society for Leukocyte Biology (SLB)
- International Society of Developmental and Comparative Immunologists (ISDCI)
- American Association for the Advancement of Sciences (AAAS)
- Society of Toxicology (SOT)
- Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC)