Undergraduate Resources

Advising Resources

The Plant and Environmental Sciences (PES) department has three undergraduate majors: Horticulture, Plant and Environmental Sciences, and Turfgrass. Advising is managed by the Student Services Manager and a team of faculty advisors. Each semester, PES advisors work with students to select the appropriate courses based on their major to help ensure they graduate on time. Our undergraduate advisors can also assist with general advising and academic questions, completion of academic forms, and course and registration information.

Undergraduate Advising



Creative Inquiry


Pre-med in PES

General Undergraduate Advising Information

Minor information

The Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences offers five minors: Crop and Soil Environmental Science minor; Entomology minor; Horticulture minor; Plant Pathology minor; Turfgrass minor. For detailed information on what is required for each minor, please choose one of the following links: 

For any additional questions related to a Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences minor, please contact Student Services Manager, Lisa Flick at LCFLICK@clemson.edu.

Concentrations in the Plant and Environmental Sciences Major

If you are majoring in Plant and Environmental Sciences, you must choose a concentration. The three concentrations that you may choose from are agricultural biotechnology; agronomy; soil and water science. For specific program requirements for each concentration, please choose one of the following links: 

Creative Inquiry

Creative Inquiry courses are a combination of engaged learning and undergraduate research unique to Clemson University. Students take on problems that arise out of their own curiosity, from a professor's challenge, or from perceived needs of the world around them. These team-based investigations are led by a faculty mentor and span two to four semesters. Students take ownership and the risks necessary of their own projects, and get answers.

The PES department has a number of Creative Inquiry courses available to undergraduates each semester. To discover what CI courses are available, visit the current projects page.

Internship Programs

Internships offer valuable work experience that employers are like to see, and give the student insight into their potential career. Although many students will do an internship for the experience, it is not necessarily required for your major.

To inquire about whether or not an internship is required for your major, check with your academic advisor, or Student Services Manager, Lisa Flick.

If you are interested in an internship, please contact Paula Beecher in the WB Bookhart Student Services Center, F153 Poole and Agriculture building, or email her at pbeeche@clemson.edu.