International FAQs

International students first must be enrolled in a full course of study, maintaining valid status, activated in SEVIS by the Internationl Office advisors, and in possession of original immigration documentation to prove employment eligibility in the USA. International students must also have a valid, original U.S. social security card for employment and payroll purposes. If the student does not yet have a U.S. social security card, then an official SSA receipt letter is required to be obtained by the student from SSA office. The SSA receipt letter should evidence the acceptance and approval of the student’s application for the card. 
The hiring department is required to prepare an International Hire Request and submit it to the Office of Human Resources, attn: Director of International Employment and Taxation, for review and approval before work may begin.

During the school sessions of Fall and Spring semesters, if you are maintaining valid status and activated in SEVIS you may work on campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week, inclusive of all jobs combined (i.e., University, Dining Services, Bookstore, etc.). During official school holidays and summer break, if you are maintaining valid status you may work a maximum of 28 hours per week for the University. See below for available dates.

F-1 and J-1 student employees are eligible to work on-campus while attending classes. The work does not need to be related to their field of study.  They must maintain legal F-1 or J-1 status while engaging in on-campus employment.  Employment is limited to 20 hours a week while school is in session. International students maintaining legal F-1 or J-1 status may work a maximum of 28 hours per week for the University when school is not in session or during the annual vacation (summer).

On-campus employment must either be performed on Clemson University premises, (including on-location commercial firms which provide services for students on campus and are located in a university owned building, such as the university bookstore, Barnes & Noble, and university dining halls for which ARAMARK provides staffing, including campus restaurants such as Subway, Chick-fil-A, etc., OR at an off-campus location which is educationally affiliated with the university, such as the CU-ICAR campus, Clemson at ONE in Greenville, University Center of Greenville, etc.

Additionally, it is important to note that on-campus employment includes work done as a teaching or research assistant, graduate grading assistant, graduate lab assistants, and graduate student hourly, as well as jobs in the university library, laboratories and administrative offices. 

Employment with on-site commercial firms, such as a construction company that is building a university building, which do not provide direct student services, is not deemed on-campus employment.

In the case of off-campus locations, the educational affiliation must be associated with the university’s established curriculum or related to contractually funded research projects at the post-graduate level. In any event, the employment must be an integral part of the student's educational program.

Off-campus employment for International students must be approved through the Office of International Affairs.

An International student may not work during the 60 day grace period following completion of a course of study, except under the following conditions: (a) The student has been issued a new SEVIS form I-20 to begin a new program of study at Clemson University beginning on the next academic session, or (b) The student has received an Employment Authorization Card from DHS/USCIS for Optional Practical Training in the field of study, and the starting work date as stated on the card has been reached. In either case (a) or (b), the hiring department will prepare a new International Hire Request and submit it for review and approval to the Director of International Employment and Taxation, Office of Human Resources. The student employee will schedule an appointment with the Office of Human Resources to complete the necessary changes in employment eligibility and related tax areas.

For students transferring to another school from Clemson University, the last possible employment date at Clemson University is the day prior to the transfer release date.

For students transferring in to Clemson University from another school, the student must first meet all requirements for on campus employment. Your SEVIS record at Clemson University must also be activated. See question /answer 1 above.

F1 students may work on campus only at the school which issued the SEVIS I-20. Students who are out of status are not eligible to work on campus until reinstated.

Contact HR

Clemson University 
Office of Human Resources

108 Perimeter Rd,
Clemson, SC 29634

Phone: 864.656.2000
Fax: 864.656.4672

Scroll To Top