Skip to content

Office of Human Resources

Student Employment

Clemson University offers employment opportunities for eligible undergraduate and graduate students through hourly part-time jobs, assistantships and the University Professional Internship and Co-op (UPIC) Programs.

Time Capture Kronos Information Payday Schedule (PDF) Payroll Information for New Hires View Your Pay Stubs International Employment

Employment Options

  • Clemson Home Student Employment

    Undergraduate students at Clemson University can become a part of the residential experience by working in student employee positions across campus through Clemson Home. Student staff have the opportunity to earn money, gain valuable work experience, and make an impact on fellow Tigers. Benefits vary by position but may include flexible scheduling, free housing, meal plans, training, professional development, and more!

    Clemson Home has several opportunities for student employment including, but not limited to:

    • Residential Community Mentors
    • Desk Assistants
    • Summer Programs Staff
    • Dining Staff

    For more information on available positions, requirements and the application process, visit the Clemson Home employment page.

  • Federal Work-Study (Undergraduate and Graduate Students)

    The Federal Work-Study (FWS) program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students who have established financial need through the submission of the FAFSA. FWS assistance will be awarded first to those with the greatest amount of financial need if demand exceeds available funds.

    FWS Requirements:

    • Students must be enrolled full-time (9 graduate credit hours/12+ undergraduate credit hours) for each fall and spring semester.
    • Students must maintain satisfactory academic progress.
    • Students who wish to continue as FWS employees must reapply annually.

    Ready to Apply?

    Students interested in applying to the FWS program can locate current job listings through Clemson’s Federal Work Study Job Board. To receive priority consideration, the federal processor must receive the student’s FAFSA by January 2 for freshmen and April 1 for upperclassmen and graduate students.

    For information on pay, please visit Clemson’s Student Employment and Financial Aid webpage.

  • Graduate Assistantships

    Students pursuing a graduate degree at Clemson University have the opportunity to participate in assistantship positions pertaining to their field of study. Students can work a 9-month appointment (academic year) or a 12-month appointment (annual year).

    Graduate Assistantship Requirements:

    • Graduate assistants must maintain full-time enrollment (9 graduate credit hours during each fall and spring semester).
    • Students must not be employed in full-time positions inside or outside the University.
    • In addition to recording paid service hours, graduate assistants must also record their time off through the Time Capture System every week. For more information on the importance of recording working hours and instructions, please review the Graduate Student Workers Policy.

    For information on graduate assistantship eligibility for international students, please visit the International Services webpage.

    For more information on graduate student employment, please reference the Graduate School Policies and Procedures Handbook.

    Ready to Apply?

    Graduate students interested in applying for an assistantship should make direct contact with the department, college, or unit of interest for specific requirements and application deadlines.

  • International Students

    International students must maintain satisfactory academic progress and have an F-1 visa, J-1 visa or Employment Authorization Document (EAD Card, I-94 or DHS Approval Notice I-797A) to be eligible for on-campus employment. On-campus employment is secondary to the pursuit of a degree at Clemson University, therefore, international students must maintain full-time enrollment to be employed on campus. To work off campus, international students must obtain work authorization (OPT, CPT, EAD, Academic Training) through the sponsor institution (Clemson University) and/or DHS/USCIS. Contact International Services at for more information.

  • Part-Time Student Employment (Undergraduate and Graduate Students)

    Clemson University offers part-time employment opportunities for eligible undergraduate and graduate students.

    Part-Time Employment Requirements:

    Ready to Apply?

    Students looking for part-time on-campus jobs can locate available positions at ClemsonJobLink and through the Center for Career and Professional Development located on the third floor of the Hendrix Student Center.

  • UPIC (Undergraduate Students)

    The University Professional Internship and Co-op (UPIC) program offers over 900 paid internship positions annually, where undergraduate students work alongside Clemson University faculty and staff while partaking in internships/Co-ops directly related to their major or field of interest. All UPIC internships are documented on student transcripts as INT and are only available to undergraduate students.

    UPIC Requirements:

    • Students must have completed at least one full semester at Clemson.
    • Students must register for an INT course during the registration period.
    • Part-time interns (working 12-15 hours/week) must be enrolled full-time (12+ credit hours) during both fall and spring semesters while obtaining a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 throughout the duration of internship.
    • Full-time interns (working 28 hours/week) are NOT required to be enrolled full-time (12+ credit hours), but they must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and be enrolled in the INT course for their specific internship.

    Ready to Apply?

    Students interested in applying to UPIC internship/Co-op positions or hourly on-campus/off-campus jobs can locate current job openings through ClemsonJobLink.

    UPIC opportunities are typically posted in mid-October (spring internships) and mid-March (summer and fall internships).

Student Employee Forms

  • I-9 Form

    All new employees must complete an I-9 Form (PDF) and provide acceptable identification and documentation such as a valid U.S. passport or an official copy of a birth certificate and photo ID to verify their identity and authorization to work in the United States. An original Social Security Card is also required for all employees.

    International students complete the I-9 Form (PDF) during the hiring approval process by the International Employment Unit. Visit the International Employee Hiring Instructions for more information.

    Individuals who have previously submitted an I-9 Form to Clemson University (i.e., rehires) are not required to submit a new I-9 Form when continuing their position or beginning a new one at Clemson University if there has been no break in service.

    For more information on the I-9 Form, visit the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification webpage. Additional information on completing the I-9 will be provided by your department.

  • Direct Deposit

    All new student employees must enroll in direct deposit through Employee Self Service. For instructions on setting up direct deposit information and how to navigate Employee Self Service, visit the Payroll Direct Deposit webpage.

    It is the employee’s responsibility to accurately add their account information and maintain their accounts (edits, changes, deletes). Employees may use their Employee Self Service portal to locate pay stubs and W-2 forms.

  • Form W-4

    New student employees must complete a W-4 form for tax purposes. Instructions on completing the W-4 Form can be found on the W-4 Link & Instructions webpage.

    International students complete the W-4 forms during the hiring approval process through the International Employment Unit. Visit the International Employee Hiring Instructions for more information.

  • Form W-2 and IRS Form 1095-C

    New student employees will not complete the W-2 form or IRS Form 1095-C upon hiring; instead, these forms will be provided at the end of the working year for tax purposes. However, new student employees should access the Tax Documents tab in their Employee Self Service portal upon hiring to consent to later receive these forms electronically.

  • Update Your Information

    Employees can learn how to update their personal information, business information, legal name, preferred name and information with benefits vendors on the Update Your Information webpage.

Work Hour Limitations

All student employees at Clemson University are subject to work hour limitations. Graduate and undergraduate student employees are limited to a cumulative total of 28 paid service hours per week.

Federal law limits international student employees on F-1 and J-1 visas to a maximum of 20 cumulative (all paid service hours + volunteer hours) working hours per week while classes are in session. During holidays and summer, international students may work up to 28 hours per week. The dates of undergraduate and graduate international student employee work periods are located on the International Student Work Calendar.

Students may occupy multiple jobs with the University provided that the cumulative total of working hours does not exceed the applicable (28/20) cap per week and the secondary hiring department has received approval from the primary hiring department prior to assigning work.

It is the shared responsibility of the hiring department(s) and the student employees to ensure that their cumulative working hours are accurately reported and do not exceed the applicable cap (28/20). Exceeding the hourly cap or inaccurately reporting hours may result in disciplinary action, up to and including termination, for the student employee and/or the student employee’s supervisor.

Student Employment FAQ

Office of Human Resources
Office of Human Resources | 108 Perimeter Rd, Clemson, SC 29634