Assistant Professor Vegetable Weed Science
Vegetable Weed Science
Horticulture Program Team, Plant and Environmental Sciences Department, Coastal Research and Education Center
Office: Coastal Research and Education Center, Charleston
Vita: Download CV
Personal Website: https://www.clemson.edu/cafls/research/weeds/index.html
Ph.D Plant Pathology, Physiology and Weed Science
Virginia Polytechnic Institute 2011
M.Sc Plant Science
The University of Tennessee 2008
Salisbury University 2004
I have a research focused appointment in vegetable weed control along with a 20% extension component. My goal is to improve weed control in both conventional and organic vegetable production.
Technicians-Tyler Campbell is my full time technician.
Graduate Students-I currently advise 3 students (Danielle Lewis, Gursewak Singh, and Giovanni Caputo).
Selected Awards: 2012 Robert D. Sweet Outstanding Ph.D student award (Northeastern Weed Science Society)
2010 Louis Brooking Graduate Student Turfgrass Research Award (Virginia Turf Foundation)
Evaluation of chemical, cultural, variety selections, and mechanical practices for sustainable weed control in vegetables. Elucidation of environmental parameters that influence herbicide carry over, volatility and drift in vegetables crops. Customization of emerging technologies such as robotics for weed control in vegetable production through collaboration with agricultural engineers. Integrated pest management strategies emphasizing herbicide plant-pathogen interactions. Weed control in organic vegetable production systems.
Extension and Outreach
Provide support to growers, agents, and master gardeners by disseminating vegetable weed control strategies at grower meetings, regional commodity conferences, and field days. Further characterize past and emerging weed control technologies in extension bulletins and publications.
1. Katuuramu, DN, WP Wechter, ML Washington, M Horry, MA Cutulle, RL Jarret and A Levi. 2020. Phenotypic diversity of root traits across 335 Citrullus spp. genotypes and identification of superior germplasm with potential in breeding for robust root system architecture in watermelon. Hortscience (In Press)
2. Cutulle, M.A., H.T. Campbell, M. Farfan, and P. Wadl. 2020.A Hydroponics Assay Distinguishes Between S-metolachlor Tolerant and Sensitive Sweetpotato Cultivars. Hortscience (In Press)
3. Wadl, P., M.A. Cutulle, M. Jackson, and H.F. Harrison. 2020. Evaluation of the USDA sweetpotato [Ipomoea batatas (L.) Lam.] germplasm collection for tolerance to the herbicide clomazone. Genetic Resources Crop Evolution. 67:1107-1113.
4. Cutulle, M., H.T. Campbell, D. Couillard, and M.W. Farnham. 2019. Pre Transplant herbicide application and cultivation to manage weeds in southeastern broccoli production. Crop Protection. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cropro.2019.104862
5. Schmidt-Jeffris, R.A., and M.A.Cutulle. 2019. Non-target effects of herbicides on Tetranychus urticae and its predator, Phytoseiulus persimilis implications for biological control. Pest Management Science. https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.5443
6. Fennimore, S.A., and M.A. Cutulle. 2019. Robotic Weeders can Improve Weed Control Options for Specialty Crops. Pest Management Science. DOI 10.1002/ps.533
7. Kerr, R.A., L.B. McCarty, W.C. Bridges, M. Cutulle. 2018. Key Morphological Events Following Late Season goosegrass (Eleusine indica) Germination. Weed Technology. (In Press)
8. Cutulle, M., J. Derr, D. McCall, A. Nicholas, and B. Horvath. 2018. Impact of Mowing Height and Nitrogen Fertility on Crabgrass Cover in 'RTF' Tall Fescue. J. of Environmental Hort. (In Press)
9. Ward, B.K., R.J. Dufault, R. Hassell, and M.A. Cutulle. 2018. Affinity of Hyperammonia-Producing Bacteria to Produce Bioammonium/Ammonia Utilizing Five Organic Nitrogen Substrates for Potential Use as an Organic Fertilizer. ACS Omega (In Press)
10. Cutulle, M.A., G.R. Armel, D.A. Kopsell, H.P. Wilson, J.T. Brosnan, J.J. Vargas, T.E. Hines, R.M. Koepke-Hill. 2018. Several Pesticides Influence the Nutritional Content of Sweet Corn. J. of Ag. Food Chem. (In Press)
11. Cutulle, M.A., H.F. Harrison, C.S. Kousik, P.A. Wadl and A. Levi. 2017 Bottle Gourd Genotypes Vary in Clomazone Tolerance. HortScience. 52: 1687-1691.
12. Ward, B.K., R.J. Dufault, R. Hassell, and M.A. Cutulle. 2017. Upscaled Bioammonium/Ammonia Production by Clostridium aminophilum with Soy Protein Isolate. J. Agric. Food Chem. 65: 2930-2935.
13. Cutulle, M.A., J.F. Derr., D.S. McCall, B.J. Horvath, A.D. Nichols, and M.T. Sanchez. 2015. Evaluation of Chitinase Activity in Tall Fescue Cultivars Inoculated with Rhizoctonia solani. J. Env. Hort. 33: 143-147.
14. Cutulle, M.A., G.R. Armel, J.T. Brosnan, M.D. Best, D.A. Kopsell, B.D. Bruce, H.E.Bostic, D.S. Layton. 2014. Synthesis and Evaluation of Heterocyclic Analogues of Bromoxynil. J. Agric. Food Chem. 62: 329-336.
15. Cutulle, M.A., J.F. Derr, D.S. McCall, B.J. Horvath, and A.D. Nichols. 2014. Effect of Mowing Height and Fertility on Bermudagrass (Cynodon dactylon) Encroachment and Brown Patch Severity in Tall Fescue. Weed Technology 28:225-232.
16. Brosnan, J.T., E.H. Reasor, J.J. Vargas, G.K. Breeden, D.A. Kopsell, M.A. Cutulle, and T. C. Mueller. 2014. A Putative Prodiamine-Resistant Annual Bluegrass (Poa annua) Population is Controlled by Indaziflam. Weed Sci. 2014. 62: 138-144.
17. Cutulle, M. A., J. Derr. D. McCall, B. J. Horvath, and A. Nichols. 2013. Impact of Hybrid Bluegrass and Tall Fescue Seeding Combinations on Brown Patch Severity and Weed Encroachment. HortScience. 48: 493-500.
18. Cutulle, M.A., G.R. Armel, J.T. Brosnan, D.A. Kopsell, W.E. Klingeman, P.C. Flanagan, G.K. Breeden, J.J. Vargas, R. Koepke-Hill, and M. A. Halcomb. 2013. Evaluation of Container Ornamental Species Tolerance to Three
p-hydroxyphenylpyruvate Dioxygenase-inhibiting Herbicides. HortTech. 23: 319-324.
19. Cutulle, M.A., G.R. Armel, J.T. Brosnan, D. A. Kopsell, W.E. Hart, J. Javier Vargas, L.A. Gibson, R. E. Messer, A.J. McLemore, and H.A. Duncan. 2013. Evaluation of a Cryogenic Sprayer Using Liquid Nitrogen and a Ballasted Roller for Weed Control. Journal of Testing and Evaluation. doi:10.1520/JTE20120296.
20. Cutulle, M., J. Derr, A. Nichols, D. McCall, and B. Horvath. 2012. Impact of bispyribac-sodium application on annual bluegrass control and brown patch severity in tall fescue. J. Env. Hort. 30:195-200
21. Serensits T., M. Cutulle, and J. Derr. 2011. Persistence of overseeded cool-season grasses in bermudagrass turf. Int. J. Agronomy, Article ID 496892, 8 pages, doi:10.1155/2011/496892.
22. Serensits, T., M. Cutulle, and J. F. Derr. 2011. Impact of overseeded grass species, seeding rate and seeding time on establishment and persistence in bermudagrass. J. Env. Hort. 29:75-80.
23. Cutulle, M.A., J.S. McElroy, R.W. Millwood, J.C. Sorochan and C.N. Stewart. 2009. Selection of Bioassay Method Influences Detection of Annual Bluegrass Resistance to Mitotic inhibiting herbicides. Crop Sci. 49:1088-1095.