Clemson University 2020-Current
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley 2020
B.S. Agriculture (Hons.)
Punjab Agricultural University 2018
1. Teaching Assistant with Dr. Mike Ferro for ENT 3010/3011- Insect Biology and Diversity Lab (Fall 2022)
2. Teaching Assistant with Dr. Rupesh Kariyat for Biology 4415- Entomology (Spring 2020) *Received Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
3. Teaching Assistant with Dr. Cindy Wedig: Lab for Biology 1406- General Biology (Fall 2019) *Received Outstanding Teaching Assistant Award
I am originally from Punjab, India where I did my undergraduate from Punjab Agricultural University. In Fall 2018, I joined Dr. Rupesh Kariyat's lab at The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to pursue a Master degree where I studied the effects of purple corn pericarp on the growth and development of Manduca sexta and led another project on Buzz pollination. In Fall 2020, I got Carl and Ruby Nettles Memorial Fellowship to work with Dr. Elizabeth Cieniewicz to understand the role of insects in the transmission of pollen-borne viruses in peaches.
My research focuses on investigating the role of flower-visiting insects in the transmission of Prunus necrotic ringspot virus (PNRSV) and prune dwarf virus (PDV) in peach orchards in Southeastern US.
1. Robinson, M. L., Hahn, P.G. ......Tayal, M....., (187 co-authors) (2023). Latitude, traits, and phylogeny determine variability in herbivore attack. Science (in revisions).
2. Tayal, M., Wilson, C. and Cieniewicz, E. J. (2023). Bees and thrips carry virus-positive pollen in peach orchards in South Carolina, United States. Journal of Economic Entomology. https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toad125
3. Rodriguez, F. B., Tayal, M., Melgar, J. C. and Cieniewicz, E. J. (2023). Insights on the directional movement of Prunus necrotic ringspot virus between peach and wild Prunus species. Journal of Plant Pathology. https://doi.org/10.1007/s42161-023-01450-w
4. Tayal, M., Ratay, A., Swift, N., Kaur, S., Russo, O., Kariyat, R., and Cieniewicz, E.J. (2023). Effect of Prunus necrotic ringspot virus and prune dwarf virus on peach pollen morphology, viability, and germination. PhytoFrontiers (under review).
5. Tayal, M., and Kariyat, R. (2021). Examining the role of buzzing time and acoustics on pollen extraction of Solanum elaeagnifolium. Plants, 10, 2592. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants10122592
6. Bhullar, M. S., Tayal, M., Kashyap, S., & Sandhu, R. (2021). Novel Whole-Grain Foods: Nutritional and Phytochemical properties for Healthcare. In Cereals and Cereal-Based Foods: Functional Benefits and Technological (1st ed., pp. 151–166). Apple Academic Press Inc.
7. Tayal, M., Somavat, P., Rodriguez, I., Thomas, T., Christoffersen, B., & Kariyat, R. (2020). Polyphenol-Rich Purple Corn Pericarp Extract Adversely Impacts Herbivore Growth and Development. Insects, 11(2), 98. doi: 10.3390/insects11020098
8. Tayal, M., Chavana, J., Kariyat, RR (2020). Efficiency of using electric toothbrush as an alternative to a tuning fork for artificial buzz pollination is independent of instrument buzzing frequency. BMC Ecology, 20, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12898-020-00278-7
9. Tayal, M., Somavat, P., Rodriguez, I., Bobani, L., & Kariyat, R. (2020). Cascading effects of polyphenol-rich purple corn pericarp extract on pupal, adult and transgenerational offspring of tobacco hornworm (Manduca sexta). Communicative and Integrative Biology, 13:1, 43-53. https://doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2020.1735223
10. Gandhi, A., Chapa, C., Tayal, M., Kariyat, R., Sahoo, N. (2020) Tobacco Hornworm (Manduca sexta) Oral Secretion Elicits Reactive Oxygen Species in Isolated Tomato Protoplasts. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 21, 8297. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21218297