Ph.D. Student Entomology
Carl & Ruby Nettles Fellow
Plant and Environmental Sciences Department
Office: 200 BRC
Personal Website: https://cieniewiczviruslab.weebly.com/current-lab-members.html
Clemson University 2020-Current
The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley 2020
B.S. Agriculture (Hons.)
Punjab Agricultural University 2018
I am originally from Punjab, India where I did my undergraduate from Punjab Agricultural University. In Fall 2018, I joined Dr. Rupesh Kariyat's lab at The University of Texas Rio Grande Valley to pursue a Master degree where I studied the effects of purple corn pericarp on the growth and development of Manduca sexta and led another project on Buzz pollination. In Fall 2020, I got Carl and Ruby Nettles Memorial Fellowship to work with Dr. Elizabeth Cieniewicz to understand the role of insects in the transmission of pollen-borne viruses in peaches.
My research focuses on investigating the role of flower-visiting insects in the transmission of Prunus necrotic ringspot virus (PNRSV) and prune dwarf virus (PDV) in peach orchards in Southeastern US.
1. Tayal, M., and Kariyat, R. (2021). Examining the role of buzzing time and acoustics on pollen extraction of Solanum elaeagnifolium. Plants, 10, 2592. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants10122592
2. Bhullar, M. S., Tayal, M., Kashyap, S., & Sandhu, R. (2021). Novel Whole-Grain Foods: Nutritional and Phytochemical properties for Healthcare. In Cereals and Cereal-Based Foods: Functional Benefits and Technological (1st ed., pp. 151–166). Apple Academic Press Inc.
3. Tayal, M., Somavat, P., Rodriguez, I., Thomas, T., Christoffersen, B., & Kariyat, R. (2020). Polyphenol-Rich Purple Corn Pericarp Extract Adversely Impacts Herbivore Growth and Development. Insects, 11(2), 98. doi: 10.3390/insects11020098
4. Tayal, M., Chavana, J., Kariyat, RR (2020). Efficiency of using electric toothbrush as an alternative to a tuning fork for artificial buzz pollination is independent of instrument buzzing frequency. BMC Ecology, 20, 8. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12898-020-00278-7
5. Tayal, M., Somavat, P., Rodriguez, I., Bobani, L., & Kariyat, R. (2020). Cascading effects of polyphenol-rich purple corn pericarp extract on pupal, adult and transgenerational offspring of tobacco hornworm (Manduca sexta). Communicative and Integrative Biology, 13:1, 43-53. https://doi.org/10.1080/19420889.2020.1735223
6. Gandhi, A., Chapa, C., Tayal, M., Kariyat, R., Sahoo, N. (2020) Tobacco Hornworm (Manduca sexta) Oral Secretion Elicits Reactive Oxygen Species in Isolated Tomato Protoplasts. Int. J. Mol. Sci. 21, 8297. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms21218297