Plant and Environmental Sciences Department, PeeDee Research and Education Center
Office: Pee Dee Research & Education Center
Ph.D. Soil & Water Sciences
University of Florida 2010
M.S. Marine & Environmental Biology
Nicholls State University 2006
B.S. Biology Education
Fujian Normal University 2000
I joined Clemson University in 2017, with a 100% research appointment in soil health. With the implementations of field approaches and laboratory studies, I am developing a collaborative research program to better understand the connections between soil, plant, and the environment, such that sustainable management can be formulated, while crop production can be optimized with least environmental impacts.
My professional background has focused on the biogeochemistry of carbon and nutrients to better understand soil processes that drive ecosystem function and influence environmental quality, with most attention given to soil biogeochemistry of agronomic ecosystems. I am interested in understanding soil biological, chemical, and physical processes that affect the cycling of carbon and nutrient in multiple phases (solid, liquid, and gaseous). The ultimate goal of my research is to better understand the ecology of soil and hence to improve management of ecosystems and their sustainability.
1. Li, L.-J., Zhu-Barker, X., Ye, R., Doane, T.A., Horwath, W.R., 2018. Soil microbial biomass size and soil carbon influence the priming effect from carbon inputs depending on nitrogen availability. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 119, 41-49.
2. Zhang, H., Wang, Y., Yang, R., Ye, R., 2018. Modeling the Effects of Phosphate Mining on Groundwater at Different Stages of Mine Development. Mine Water and the Environment.
3. Zhu, Z., Ge, T., Liu, S., Hu, Y., Ye, R., Xiao, M., Tong, C., Kuzyakov, Y., Wu, J., 2018. Rice rhizodeposits affect organic matter priming in paddy soil: The role of N fertilization and plant growth for enzyme activities, CO2 and CH4 emissions. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 116, 369-377.
4. Dai, S.-S., Li, L.-J., Ye, R., Zhu-Barker, X., Horwath, W.R., 2017. The temperature sensitivity of organic carbon mineralization is affected by exogenous carbon inputs and soil organic carbon content. European Journal of Soil Biology 81, 69-75.
5. Hartman, W.H., Ye, R., Horwath, W.R., Tringe, S.G., 2017. A genomic perspective on stoichiometric regulation of soil carbon cycling. ISME J.
6. Jiang, Y., van Groenigen, K.J., Huang, S., Hungate, B.A., van Kessel, C., Hu, S., Zhang, J., Wu, L., Yan, X., Wang, L., Chen, J., Hang, X., Zhang, Y., Horwath, W.R., Ye, R., Linquist, B.A., Song, Z., Zheng, C., Deng, A., Zhang, W., 2017. Higher yields and lower methane emissions with new rice cultivars. Global Change Biology DOI: 10.1111/gcb.13737, n/a-n/a.
7. Miao, S., Ye, R., Qiao, Y., Zhu-Barker, X., Doane, T.A., Horwath, W.R., 2017. The solubility of carbon inputs affects the priming of soil organic matter. Plant and Soil 410, 129-138.
8. Morris, J., Ye, R., Silva, L.C., Horwath, W.R., 2017. Nitrogen Fertilization Had No Effect on CH4 and N2O Emissions in Rice Planted in Rewetted Peatlands. Soil Science Society of America Journal 81, 224-232.
9. Xu, Y., Zhan, M., Cao, C., Ge, J., Ye, R., Tian, S., Cai, M., 2017. Effects of irrigation management during the rice growing season on soil organic carbon pools. Plant and Soil 421, 337-351.
10. Ye, R., Horwath, W.R., 2017. Influence of rice straw on priming of soil C for dissolved organic C and CH4 production. Plant and Soil.
11. Ye, R., Doane, T.A., Horwath, W.R., 2016. Comparison of isotope methods for partitioning methane production and soil C priming effects during anaerobic decomposition of rice residue in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 95, 51-59.
12. Ye, R., Espe, M.B., Linquist, B., Parikh, S.J., Doane, T.A., Horwath, W.R., 2016. A soil carbon proxy to predict CH 4 and N 2 O emissions from rewetted agricultural peatlands. Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 220, 64-75.
13. Ye, R., Horwath, W.R., 2016. Nitrous oxide uptake in rewetted wetlands with contrasting soil organic carbon contents. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 100, 110-117.
14. Ye, R., Keller, J.K., Jin, Q., Bohannan, B.J., Bridgham, S.D., 2016. Peatland types influence the inhibitory effects of a humic substance analog on methane production. Geoderma 265, 131-140.
15. Chen, W., Zhang, L., Li, X., Ye, R., Li, Q., Zhu, J., Fang, N., Wang, L., Wu, Z., Horwath, W.R., 2015. Elevated ozone increases nitrifying and denitrifying enzyme activities in the rhizosphere of wheat after 5 years of fumigation. Plant and Soil 392, 279-288.
16. Ye, R., Doane, T.A., Morris, J., Horwath, W.R., 2015. The effect of rice straw on the priming of soil organic matter and methane production in peat soils. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 81, 98-107.
17. Liang, X., Zhu, S., Ye, R., Guo, R., Zhu, C., Fu, C., Tian, G., Chen, Y., 2014. Biological thresholds of nitrogen and phosphorus in a typical urban river system of the Yangtz delta, China. Environmental Pollution 192, 251-258.
18. Ye, R.Z., Jin, Q.S., Bohannan, B., Keller, J.K., Bridgham, S.D., 2014. Homoacetogenesis: A potentially underappreciated carbon pathway in peatlands. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 68, 385-391.
19. Bridgham, S.D., Ye, R., 2013. Organic Matter Mineralization and Decomposition, In: DeLaune, R.D., Reddy, K.R., Richardson, C.J., Megonigal, J.P. (Eds.), Methods in Biogeochemistry of Wetlands. Soil Science Society of America, pp. 385-406.
20. Ye, R.Z., Jin, Q.S., Bohannan, B., Keller, J.K., McAllister, S.A., Bridgham, S.D., 2012. pH controls over anaerobic carbon mineralization, the efficiency of methane production, and methanogenic pathways in peatlands across an ombrotrophic-minerotrophic gradient. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 54, 36-47.
21. Ye, R.Z., McCray, J.M., Wright, A.L., 2011. Microbial Response of a Calcareous Histosol to Sulfur Amendment. Soil Science 176, 479-486.
22. Ye, R.Z., Wright, A.L., McCray, J.M., 2011. Seasonal Changes in Nutrient Availability for Sulfur-Amended Everglades Soils under Sugarcane. Journal of Plant Nutrition 34, 2095-2113.
23. Ye, R.Z., Wright, A.L., 2010. Multivariate analysis of chemical and microbial properties in histosols as influenced by land-use types. Soil & Tillage Research 110, 94-100.
24. Ye, R.Z., Wright, A.L., McCray, J.M., Reddy, K.R., Young, L., 2010. Sulfur-induced changes in phosphorus distribution in Everglades Agricultural Area soils. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 87, 127-135.
25. Ye, R.Z., Wright, A.L., Orem, W.H., McCray, J.M., 2010. Sulfur Distribution and Transformations in Everglades Agricultural Area Soil as Influenced by Sulfur Amendment. Soil Science 175, 263-269.
26. Ye, R.Z., Wright, A.L., Inglett, K., Wang, Y., Ogram, A.V., Reddy, K.R., 2009. Land-Use Effects on Soil Nutrient Cycling and Microbial Community Dynamics in the Everglades Agricultural Area, Florida. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis 40, 2725-2742.