Thomas Walker III
Research Coordinator, SC Water Resources Center
Instructor, Master of Public Administration Program
Public Service Activities
Office: 509 Westinghouse Rd., Pendleton, SC 29670
Ph.D. Policy Studies
Clemson University 2017
M.P.A. Public Administration
Seattle University 2010
Randolph-Macon College 2003
PADM 8210 Perspectives on Public Administration
Tom Walker, Ph.D. is the research coordinator for the South Carolina Water Resources Center. Tom has been at Clemson since 2012 and worked and taught for the MPA program while pursuing his doctorate in Policy Studies. He was previously a postdoctoral fellow in the SC Water Resources Center and his work focused primarily on several phases of the State Water Planning Process. Dr. Walker received his B.A. degree in History from Randolph-Macon College and his M.P.A. in Public Administration with a Government concentration from Seattle University. He received a Ph.D. in Policy Studies from Clemson University with an emphasis in environmental and natural resource policy.
Planning & Management
Extension and Outreach
SC STATE WATER PLANNING & POLICY
Surface Water Availability Assessment
Groundwater Availability Assessment
Water Demand Projections
Planning Process Advisory Committee
Pellett, A. (2019). Projection Methods for Off-stream Water Demand in South Carolina. South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Land, Water and Conservation Division.
Editor: Walker, T.
South Carolina Water Planning Framework. (2019). South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Land, Water and Conservation Division. Planning Process Advisory Committee (PPAC) Coordinator: Walker, T.
SC AGRICULTURAL WATER USE AND IRRIGATION SURVEY
Dickes, L., Crouch, E., Walker, T. (2017). Local entrepreneurial programming: myth or reality a southern case study. Journal of Entrepreneurship and Public Policy, Vol. 6 Issue: 2, pp.224-241, https://doi.org/10.1108/JEPP-01-2017-0002
Walker, M., Walker, T. (2018). High Reliability Care: At the Intersection of Policy and Practice. Journal of Nursing & Healthcare, Vol. 3 Issue: 3, http://www.opastonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/high-reliability-care-at-the-intersection-of-policy-and-practice-jnh-18.pdf
Dickes, L., Crouch, E., and Walker, T. (2018). Socioeconomic Determinants of Broadband Adoption among Consumer Households in a Southern State. Journal of Depopulation and Rural Development Studies. DOI: 10.4422/ager.2018.17. http://ruralager.org/wp-content/uploads/10_4422ager_2018_17-dickes-et-al.pdf
Walker, T., Dickes, L., and Allen, J. (2018). South Carolina Groundwater Availability Assessment: 2017 Stakeholder Outreach and Engagement Results. Journal of South Carolina Water Resources. https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/jscwr/vol5/iss1/6/
Pellett, C., Walker, T. (2018). Water Users' Perspectives: Summary of Withdrawal Survey Responses and Commentary. Journal of South Carolina Water Resources. https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/jscwr/vol5/iss1/3/
Crouch, E., Dickes, L., Probst, J., Bennett, K., and Walker, T. (2019). Identifying Families at Risk For Out-of-Pocket Caregiving Costs Using a U.S. Population-based Sample. Family Science Review. http://familyscienceassociation.org/sites/default/files/6%20%20-%20Crouch%20-%20final.pdf
Walker, T., Pellett, C., Allen, J. (2019). Stakeholder Engagement: Methods of Inclusion in South Carolina State Water Plan Decision-Making. Journal of South Carolina Water Resources. https://tigerprints.clemson.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1068&context=jscwr
Kearney, R. (2020). Advancing Your Career : Concepts of Professional Nursing 7th Edition. FA Davis. ISBN-13: 978-0-8036-9014-1. Contributor: Walker, T. Chapter 13: Quality and Safety in Healthcare & Chapter 17: Economics and Healthcare Policy.
Walker, T., Dickes, L., Crouch, E. (2020). Community Water Fluoridation Perceptions and Practice in the United States: Challenges in Governance and Implementation. Water Policy. Vol 22, Iss 3. https://doi.org/10.2166/wp.2020.044
1. Walker, TC. Stakeholder Engagement in Water Resource Management: Preliminary Results from the Ongoing South Carolina State Surface Water Modelling and Assessment. Conference Presentation (TC Walker, presenter): Southeastern Conference of Public Administration. N. Charleston, SC (SECoPA, 2015) (R)
2. Dickes, LA, Okonkwo, F, Walker, TC. Evidence for a National Broadband Policy; Evidence from 8 US States. (LA Dickes. presenter): Southeastern Conference of Public Administration. Raleigh, NC (SECoPA, 2016) (R)
3. Walker, MK and Walker, TC. High Reliability Care. The Challenges of Opposing Views: A Policy and Practice Commentary. Keynote Presentation 2017 (MK Walker presenter). Maine Nursing Practice Consortium. Bangor, Maine. (R)
Conference Presentation (TC Walker, presenter): Southeastern Conference of Public Administration. N. Charleston, SC (SECoPA, 2015) (R)
4. Allen, JS, Walker, TC. Stakeholder Engagement: Incorporating Input into South Carolina State Water Planning. (JS Allen, presenter): South Carolina State Water Plan Symposium, 2018. Columbia, SC. (S)
5. Calvin B. Sawyer, Jeffery Allen, Mathew Smith, Thomas Walker, David Willis, Thomas Dobbins, Derrick Phinney, Kim Counts Morganello, Bryan Smith, Jose Payero, Adam Kantrovich and Nathan Smith. Agricultural Water Use in South Carolina: Preliminary Results of the South Carolina Agricultural Water Use and Irrigation Survey. (C. Sawyer, presenter): South Carolina Water Resources Conference, 2018. Columbia, SC. (S)
6. Allen, JS and Walker, TC. 2018. Planning and Preparing for Stakeholder Involvement in the State Water Planning Effort. (TC Walker, presenter): South Carolina Rural Water Association Annual Conference. Myrtle Beach, SC. (S)