Agribusiness Program Team Director
Agribusiness Program Team, Agronomic Crops Program Team, Agricultural Sciences Department, Sandhill Research and Education Center
Office: Sandhill REC
Ph.D. Agricultural Economics
University of Kentucky 2001
M.S. Agricultural Economics
Auburn University 1992
B.S. Agricultural Economics
Clemson University 1989
Dr. Nathan Smith is an Associate Professor and Extension Economist with Clemson University. He is located at the Sandhill Research and Education Center in Columbia, SC where his major responsibilities include production economics and risk management education for row crops. He also has expertise in commodity marketing and farm bill education, conducting program with county Extension agents and growers, both locally and nationally. During the last four farm bills, Dr. Smith was an integral part of the Extension Ag Economics Farm Bill Education education program and coordinating Farm Bill Education Programs. He has interest in working with interdisciplinary teams to address economic decisions growers face.
Dr. Smith was an Extension Economist with the University of Georgia from 2000 to 2015, located on the Tifton Campus. He was an Extension Marketing Specialist for row crops at the University of Arkansas from 1996-1999.
Recent Service and Leadership Activities:
- Crop Insurance Advisory Panel Member for the Southern Risk Management Education Center, 2019-present
- SAEA Secretary, 2018-present
- SC Ag Outlook Conference - 2016-present
- SC Farm Aid Policy Development and Implementation, 2016-2017
- Coordinator and Co-Organizer - National Extension Farm Bill Education Conference, 2014, 2018.
- Southern Region Program Leaders Network ANR Committee, 2016-present
- Co-Organizer, Moderator - Organized Symposiums Southern Crops and Livestock Outlook SAEA Annual Meeting, 2013-2021.
- Chair - SERA39 Public Policy Issues Education, 2013-2014.
- Coordinator - Southern Region Agricultural Outlook Conference sponsored by the Southern Extension Marketing, Farm Management and Public Affairs Committees, Southern Risk Management Education Center, and AgFirst Farm Credit, 2004-2015.
- President's Leadership Institute - 2016-17 (inaugural cohort)
- ACC Academic Leaders Network - 2018-19 (inaugural cohort)
- Extension Leadership Team
American Agricultural Economics Association, Extension Section
American Peanut Research and Education Society - Virginia Carolina Board Representative
Georgia Agricultural County Agents Association
South Carolina Agricultural County Agents Association
South Carolina Seedsmen's Association Advisory Member
Southern Agricultural Economics Association
Southern Extension Economists Committee
Farm Policy Analysis and Implications
Cotton, Peaches, and Peanuts
Extension and Outreach
EXTENSION PROGRAM AREAS:
Value-added Agriculture and Cooperatives
LinksExtension Agribusiness Program Team
Department of Agricultural Sciences
Sandhill Research and Education Center