Clemson University 1998
BS Food Science
Tunghai University 1985
Biology in the News
The long term goal of my research is to develop prevention and therapeutic approaches to reduce, augment, enhance, or replace the use of antibiotics. The approaches my research team has taken are, but not limited, to 1) develop nanoparticles that display multivalent bacterial adhesin-specific receptors that mimic host cell surface, to facilitate bindings to their targeted bacteria resulting in the physical purging and/or hyperthermic inactivation of bacteria, 2) develop antimicrobial peptides that are target-specific to minimize the emergence of drug resistant bacteria, 3) develop surface coating/modification that exhibits antimicrobial property, 4) identify nutraceutical compounds that exhibit antimicrobial activities but with low host toxicities, 5) purify bacterial efflux pump inhibitors from natural sources to facilitate the effective treatment of multi-drug-resistant pathogens, and 6) develop microcantilever- or microfluidic chip-based biosensors for detection of pathogens.
1. Wang Z, Raval Y, Tzeng T, Booth B, Flaherty B, Peterson D, et al., editors. Time domain detection and differentiation of single particles and cells with a radio frequency interferometer. 2016 IEEE Topical Conference on Biomedical Wireless Technologies, Networks, and Sensing Systems (BioWireleSS); 2016: IEEE.
2. Uzair U, Benza D, Wang F, Raval Y, Tzeng T-RJ, Anker JN. A pH sensor for non-invasive in vivo detection and imaging of implant associated infection. 2016.
3. Wang F, Raval Y, Tzeng TRJ, Anker JN. X‐Ray Excited Luminescence Chemical Imaging of Bacterial Growth on Surfaces Implanted in Tissue. Advanced healthcare materials. 2015;4(6):903-10.
4. Stone R, Fellows B, Qi B, Trebatoski D, Jenkins B, Raval Y, et al. Highly stable multi-anchored magnetic nanoparticles for optical imaging within biofilms. Journal of colloid and interface science. 2015;459:175-82.
5. Raval YS, Stone R, Fellows B, Qi B, Huang G, Mefford OT, et al. Synthesis and application of glycoconjugate-functionalized magnetic nanoparticles as potent anti-adhesion agents for reducing enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli infections. Nanoscale. 2015;7(18):8326-31.
6. Harrison H, Lu X, Patel S, Thomas C, Todd A, Johnson M, et al. Electrokinetic preconcentration of particles and cells in microfluidic reservoirs. Analyst. 2015;140(8):2869-75.
7. Wilbanks JJ, Kiessling G, Zeng J, Zhang C, Tzeng T-R, Xuan X. Exploiting magnetic asymmetry to concentrate diamagnetic particles in ferrofluid microflows. Journal of Applied Physics. 2014;115(4):044907.
8. Wang G, Abercrombie JG, Huang G, Tzeng T-RJ. Enhanced fed-batch production, partial purification, characterization of jenseniin P, and discovery of a new bacteriocin-like substance produced by Propionibacterium jensenii B1264. European Food Research and Technology. 2014;239(1):79-86.
9. Wang F, Raval Y, Chen H, Tzeng TRJ, DesJardins JD, Anker JN. Development of luminescent pH sensor films for monitoring bacterial growth through tissue. Advanced healthcare materials. 2014;3(2):197-204.
10. Zeng J, Deng Y, Vedantam P, Tzeng T-R, Xuan X. Magnetic separation of particles and cells in ferrofluid flow through a straight microchannel using two offset magnets. Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials. 2013;346:118-23.
11. Zeng J, Chen C, Vedantam P, Tzeng T-R, Xuan X. Magnetic concentration of particles and cells in ferrofluid flow through a straight microchannel using attracting magnets. Microfluidics and nanofluidics. 2013;15(1):49-55.
12. Zeng J, Chen C, Vedantam P, Brown V, Tzeng T-RJ, Xuan X. Three-dimensional magnetic focusing of particles and cells in ferrofluid flow through a straight microchannel. Journal of Micromechanics and Microengineering. 2012;22(10):105018.
13. Vedantam P, Tzeng T-RJ, Brown AK, Podila R, Rao A, Staley K. Binding of Escherichia coli to functionalized gold nanoparticles. Plasmonics. 2012;7(2):301-8.
14. Patel S, Showers D, Vedantam P, Tzeng T-R, Qian S, Xuan X. Microfluidic separation of live and dead yeast cells using reservoir-based dielectrophoresis. Biomicrofluidics. 2012;6(3):034102.
15. Badal S, Gallimore W, Huang G, Tzeng T-RJ, Delgoda R. Cytotoxic and potent CYP1 inhibitors from the marine algae Cymopolia barbata. Organic and medicinal chemistry letters. 2012;2(1):1.
16. Zhu J, Canter RC, Keten G, Vedantam P, Tzeng T-RJ, Xuan X. Continuous-flow particle and cell separations in a serpentine microchannel via curvature-induced dielectrophoresis. Microfluidics and nanofluidics. 2011;11(6):743-52.
17. Tzeng T-RJ, Cheng YR, Saeidpourazar R, Aphale SS, Jalili N. Adhesin-specific nanomechanical cantilever biosensors for detection of microorganisms. Journal of Heat Transfer. 2011;133(1):011012.
18. Zhu J, Tzeng TRJ, Xuan X. Continuous dielectrophoretic separation of particles in a spiral microchannel. Electrophoresis. 2010;31(8):1382-8.
19. Yang Y, Zhang H, Zhu J, Wang G, Tzeng T-R, Xuan X, et al. Distinguishing the viability of a single yeast cell with an ultra-sensitive radio frequency sensor. Lab on a Chip. 2010;10(5):553-5.
20. Stutzenberger FJ, Latour Jr RA, Sun Y-P, Tzeng TR. Adhesin-specific nanoparticles and process for using same. Patents; 2010.
21. Church C, Zhu J, Huang G, Tzeng T-R, Xuan X. Integrated electrical concentration and lysis of cells in a microfluidic chip. Biomicrofluidics. 2010;4(4):044101.
22. Zhu J, Tzeng T-RJ, Hu G, Xuan X. DC dielectrophoretic focusing of particles in a serpentine microchannel. Microfluidics and nanofluidics. 2009;7(6):751-6.
23. Church C, Zhu J, Wang G, Tzeng T-RJ, Xuan X. Electrokinetic focusing and filtration of cells in a serpentine microchannel. Biomicrofluidics. 2009;3(4):044109.
24. Shah RR, Kaewgun S, Lee BI, Tzeng T-RJ. The antibacterial effects of biphasic brookite-anatase titanium dioxide nanoparticles on multiple-drug-resistant staphylococcus aureus. Journal of Biomedical Nanotechnology. 2008;4(3):339-48.