The Pee Dee Research & Education Center was established in 1911 near the City of Florence. It was reestablished in 1985 at its current location on 2,300 acres located on Pocket Road in Darlington and Florence County. There are 800 acres for research plots, 1,000 acres of forest, and the remaining 500 acres consist of buildings, roads, ponds, and swamps.
The John B. Pitner Center is the heart of the Pee Dee REC campus and has undergone a $7 million renovation. Along with newly remodeled office spaces, the Pitner Center houses four brand new state-of-the-art laboratories for Clemson University's Advanced Plant Technology Program.
The Pitner Center also houses a 350 seat theater style auditorium, two 50 seat classrooms, a 60 seat seminar room, and a 30 seat conference room. Normally several thousand visitors hold seminars, meetings, tours, field days, and other events at the Center each year.
In addition to the main office, there are several other facilities scattered across Pee Dee REC grounds. There is a turf laboratory/maintenance building located near the turf research area. The entire turf field laboratory and plots constitute about 12 acres. The Pee Dee REC faculty also utilize barns, greenhouses, and silos for storage and research purposes.