Graduate Research Assistant
Plant and Environmental Sciences Department
Office: 200 Biosystems Research Complex
Personal Website: https://www.linkedin.com/in/melissa-mu%C3%B1oz-agudelo-19632296/
Ph.D (In progress) Plant and Environmental Sciences
Clemson University 2022
M.S. Plant and Environmental Sciences
Clemson University 2018
B.S. Agronomical Engineer
Universidad Nacional de Colombia sede Medellin 2016
Teaching Assistant for HORT 2110/2111 - Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Clemson University
Teaching Assistant for HORT 2100- Department of Plant and Environmental Sciences, Clemson University
I'm quite passionate about research, my favorite topic is plant pathology. I enjoy collaborative research with researchers and growers.
My Master’s project focused on the evaluation of fungicide applications and cultural practices for Botrytis blight management on cut roses.
Ph.D. research focuses on evaluating pre-and post-harvest applications of calcium in roses considering the role of calcium in enhancing the strength of the plant cell, and mediating plant defense responses and secondary metabolites release against Botrytis cinerea.
Extension and Outreach
My research has been the result of continuous collaboration with floriculture growers. We constantly give research updates to them and coordinate experiments together.
The following are the extension presentations and articles
• Faust, J.E., Schnabel, G., Muñoz, M., Calidonio, G., Cox., Brodie, C. 2021. American Floral Endowment (AFE). Screening Biological Control Agents for Effective Blight Management. October 21st (Webinar)- Spanish Version
• Muñoz, M., Faust, J.E., Schnabel, G. 2020. American Floral Endowment (AFE).
Part 1 webinar series (Best practices for Botrytis management): Scouting & monitoring for Botrytis. (November 3rd)- Spanish Version.
• Muñoz, M., Faust, J.E., Schnabel, G. 2020. American Floral Endowment (AFE)
Part 2 webinar series (Best practices for Botrytis management): Addressing fungicide resistance. (November 10th)- Spanish Version.
• Muñoz, M., Faust, J.E., Schnabel, G. 2020. American Floral Endowment (AFE) Part 3 webinar series (Best practices for Botrytis management): Creating an IPM program for Botrytis management. (November 17th)- Spanish Version.
• Muñoz, M., Faust, J.E., Schnabel, G. 2020. Management of gray mold caused by Botrytis cinerea in cut flowers. Invited speaker at SiFlor International Floriculture Symposium. Bogotá, Colombia (Virtual).
• Muñoz, M., Faust, J.E. 2019. Light management in cut flower production. Invited speaker at SiFlor International Floriculture Symposium, Quito, Ecuador.
• Muñoz, M., Schnabel, G., Faust, J.E. 2018. Integrated management of Botrytis in cut flowers. Keynote presentation at SiFlor International Floriculture Symposium. Medellín, Colombia.
• Muñoz, M., Schnabel, G., Faust, J.E. 2017. Botrytis management strategies in cut roses. Oral presentation at American Floral Endowment Board of Trustees meeting, Clemson, SC.
• Muñoz, M., Schnabel, G., Faust, J.E. 2017. Botrytis management in cut roses. Keynote presentation at ProFlora 14th annual meeting. Bogotá, Colombia.
• Muñoz, M., Cieniewicz, E., Faust, J. 2021. Chapter 6: Diseases and disease management. In: Cut flowers and foliages. (Editors: James E. Faust and John Dole). CABI publisher. Oxford, United Kingdom.
• Muñoz, M., Faust, J., Bridges, W.C., Schnabel, G. 2020. Relationship of Pink Pigmentation in Rose Petals and Botrytis cinerea. Plant Health Progress. 21:152-156. https://doi.org/10.1094/PHP-12-19-0100-RS
• Rodriguez-Polanco, E., Morales, J.G., Muñoz-Agudelo, M., Segura, J.D., Carrero, M. 2020. Morphological, molecular and pathogenic characterization of Phytophthora palmivora isolates causing black por rot of cacao in Colombia. Spanish Journal of Agricultural Research. 18, e1003 http://dx.doi.org/10.5424/sjar/2020182-15147
• Muñoz, M., Faust, J., Schnabel, G. 2019. Characterization of Botrytis cinerea from commercial cut flower roses. Plant disease. 103: 1577-1583. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-09-18-1623-RE
• Ramírez, J.G., Muñoz, M., Patiño, L.F., Morales J.G. 2015. Banana Moko disease management with resistance inducers and chlorine dioxide. Agronomía Colombiana. 33:194-202. https://doi.org/10.15446/agron.colomb.v33n2.48663
• Ramírez, J.G.; Muñoz, M.; Osorno, L.; Osorio, N.W.; Morales, J.G. 2015. Germination and growth of purple passion fruit seedlings under pre-germination treatments and mycorrhizal inoculation. Pesq. Agropec. Trop. 45:257-265. http://www.redalyc.org/articulo.oa?id=253042229004