Ph.D. Water Management and Hydrological Science
Texas A&M Universtiy
M.S. Environmental Science
B.S. Computer Science
Ocean University of China
B.S. Environmental Science
Ocean University of China
My research brings together state-of-the-art climate, hydrology, agriculture, water quality, land use, socioeconomics, and energy systems models to improve our fundamental understanding of water-related natural and human systems and to identify cost-effective solutions to meet the water, energy, and food demands under changing climate, particularly in
(1) Evapotranspiration modeling and irrigation decision support tools;
(2) Water-Environment-Energy-Food Nexus;
(3) Integrated watershed management modeling;
(4) Machine learning application in agriculture;
(5) Climate change impacts on crop production and evaluation of adaptation strategies.
1. Singh, V.P., and Su, Q., 2022. Irrigation Engineering: Principles, Processes, Procedures, Design, and Management. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, the U.K., ISBN-13: 978-1316511220.
1. Singh, V.P., and Su, Q., 2022. Water: How Secure Are We Under Climate Change? In: Sustainability of Water Resources: Impacts and Management. Basant Yadav, Mohit Prakash Mohanty, Ashish Pandey, Vijay P. Singh, R. D. Singh (Eds). Water Science and Technology Library, # 116. Springer International Publishing, ISBN: 9783031134661.
2. Singh, V.P., and Su, Q., 2022. Irrigated agriculture under climate change. In: Case studies: insights on agriculture innovation 2021 (IAAS Series). Lee, T.R. Vital Wellspring Education Pte. Ltd.
1. Singh, V.P., and Su, Q., 2022. Solutions Manual to “Irrigation Engineering: Principles, Processes, Procedures, Design, and Management.” Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, the U.K., ISBN-13: 978-1316511220.
PEER-REVIEWED JOURNAL PUBLICATIONS
[*corresponding-author, †co-first author]
28. Su, Q.*, Rohila. J., Ranganathan, R., and Karthikeyan, R.*, 2023. Rice yield and quality in response to daytime and nighttime temperatures increase– a meta-analysis perspective. Science of the Total Environment. 165256. doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2023.165256
27. Lin, Y., Wang, Y., Hsieh, J., Jiang, J., Su, Q., and Zhang, R., 2023. Assessing the destructiveness of tropical cyclone by anthropogenic aerosols under an atmosphere-ocean coupled framework. EGUsphere [preprint].
26. Ale, S.*, Su, Q., Singh, J., Himanshu, S.K., Fan, Y., Stoker, B., Gonzalez, E., Sapkota, B.R., Adams, C., Biggers, K., Kimura, E., and Wall. J., 2023. Development and evaluation of a decision support mobile application for cotton irrigation management. Smart Agricultural Technology. 100270. doi: 10.1016/j.atech.2023.100270
25. Xu, W.Y., Xu, T., Thomasson, J.A., Chen, W., Karthikeyan, R., Tian, G., Shi, Y., Ji, C., and Su, Q.*, 2023. A lightweight deep learning method for detection of sugarcane aphids in unstructured natural environments. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture. 211, 107961. doi.org/10.1016/j.compag.2023.107961
24. Su, Q.*, and Karthikeyan, R., 2023. Regional water stress forecasting: effects of climate change, socioeconomic development, and irrigated agriculture – a Texas case study. Sustainability. 15(12), 9290. doi.org/10.3390/su15129290
23. Su, Q.*, and Singh, V.P., 2023. A calibration-free Priestley-Taylor method for reference evapotranspiration estimation. Water Resources Research. 59(3), e2022WR033198 doi: 10.1029/2022WR033198
22. Su. Q.*, H. Dai, H., S. Xie, X. Yu, R. Karthikeyan, and V.P. Singh, 2023. Water-energy-carbon nexus: greenhouse gas emissions from integrated urban drainage systems in China. Environmental Science & Technology, 57(5):2093-2104.doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.2c08583 doi.org/10.1021/acs.est.2c08583
21. Wang. J., Lin, Y., McFarquhar, G.M., Park, E., Lee, K.W., Gu, Y., Su, Q., Fu, R., Lee, K.W., and Zhang T.H., 2023. Soil moisture observations from shortwave infrared channels reveal tornado tracks: A case in December 10-11, 2021 tornado outbreak. Geophysical Research Letters. doi: 10.1029/2023GL102984
20. Su. Q.,* V.P. Singh, and R. Karthikeyan, 2022. Selection and implementation of reference evapotranspiration methods for estimation of regional irrigation water demand. Agricultural Water Management. 274:107979. doi.org/10.1016/j.agwat.2022.107979
19. Singh, V.P., and Su, Q., 2022. Water-Environment-Energy-Food Nexus: Challenges and Opportunities under Climate Change. Indian Journal of Soil Conservation. 50(3):177-189.
18. Singh, V.P., and Su, Q., 2022. Industry note: Irrigated agriculture for food security. International Journal of Agriculture Innovation, Technology, and Globalisation. 3(1):87-93.
17. Xu, W.Y., J.A. Thomasson, Q, Su, C. Ji, Y. Shi, J. Zhou, and H. Chen, 2022. A segmentation algorithm incorporating superpixel block and holistically nested edge for sugarcane aphids images under natural light conditions. Biosystems Engineering. 216:241-255.
16. Singh, V.P., and Q. Su, 2021. Role of hydrology in natural resources conservation and management. Indian Journal of Soil Conservation. 49 (3): 153-162.
15. Lin, Y., Y. Wang, B. Pan, J. Hu, S. Guo, M, Zamora, P. Tian, Q. Su, Y. Ji, J. Zhao, M. Gomez-Hernandez, M. Hu, and R. Zhang, 2021. Formation, radiative forcing, and climatic effects of severe regional haze, Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics., 22(7):4951-4967.
14. Zhang, Y., Z. Wu, V. P. Singh, Q. Su, H. He, H. Yin, Y. Zhang, and F. Wang, 2021. Simulation of crop water requirements and consumption considering irrigation effects based on coupled Hydrology-Crop Growth model. Journal of Advances in Modeling Earth Systems.13(11): e2020MS002360.
13. Chen, H., A.M. Rücker, Q. Su, G.D. Blosser, X. Liu, W.H. Conner, and A.T. Chow, 2020. Dynamics of dissolved organic matter and disinfection byproduct precursors along a low elevation gradient in woody wetlands. Water Research. 181, 115908.
12. Su. Q, H. Dai, H. Chen, Y. Lin, Y. Xie, and R. Karthikeyan, 2019. General equilibrium analysis of co-benefits and trade-offs of carbon mitigation on local industrial water use and pollutants discharge in China. Environmental Science & Technology. 53 (3): 1715–1724.
11. Xu, W., H. Chen, Q. Su, C. Ji, W. Xu, M.S. Memon, and J, Zhou, 2019. Shadow detection and removal in apple image segmentation under natural light conditions using an ultrametric contour map. Biosystems Engineering, 184, 142-154.
10. Chen H., K.P. Tsai, Q. Su, A.T. Chow, and J. Wang, 2019. Throughfall dissolved organic matter as a terrestrial source of disinfection byproduct precursors. ACS Earth and Space Chemistry, 3,8,1603-1613.
9. Su. Q, H. Dai, Y. Lin, H. Chen, R. Karthikeyan, 2018. Modeling the carbon-energy-water nexus in a rapidly urbanizing catchment. Journal of Environmental Management. 225, 93-103.
8. Cao, C., S. Liu, Z. Ma, Y. Lin, Q. Su, H. Chen, and J. Wang, 2018. Dynamics of multiple elements in fast decomposing vegetable residues. Science of the Total Environment. 616, 614-621.
7. Chen, H., Y. Lin, Q. Su, L.Cheng, 2017. Spatial variation of multiple air pollutants and their potential contributions to all-cause, respiratory, and cardiovascular mortality across China in 2015-2016. Atmospheric Environment. 168, 23-35.
6. Su, Q., H.P. Qin, and G.T. Fu, 2014. Environmental and ecological impacts of water supplement schemes in a heavily polluted estuary. Science of the Total Environment. 472C: 704-711.
5. Qin H.P., Q. Su, S.T. Khu, and N. Tang, 2014. Water quality changes during rapid urbanization in the Shenzhen River catchment. Sustainability. 6(6): 7433-7451.
4. Qin H.P., Q. Su, and S.T. Khu, 2012. Assessment of environmental improvement measures using a novel integrated model. Journal of Environmental Management. 114: 486-495.
3. Qin H.P., Q. Su, and S.T. Khu, 2011. An integrated model for water management in a rapidly urbanizing catchment. Environmental Modelling & Software. 26(12): 1502-1514.
2. He L.Y., Y. Lin, X. Huang, S. Guo, L. Xue, Q. Su, M. Hu, S. Luan, and Y. Zhang, 2010. Characterization of high-resolution aerosol mass spectra of primary organic aerosol emissions from Chinese cooking and biomass burning. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 10(23): 11535-11543.
1. Su, Q., H.P. Qin, and Z.J. Zhao, 2009. Modeling effects of regional industrial structure adjustment on water resource balance and water quality improvement. China Environmental Science. 29(7): 767-772.
CONFERENCE PAPERS (Full length/proceedings paper)
[*corresponding-author, †co-first author]
4. Man, Y., R.H. Mohtar, Q. Su, 2017. Using Water-Energy-Food Nexus analysis index to develop sustainable development policy in transboundary River Basin, a case study of Mekong River Basin. XVI IWRA World Water Congress, Cancun, Mexico. 29 May-3 June 2017.
3. H.P., Qin, Q., Su, 2010. Cause and effect analysis of water quality, socio-economic development, and environmental improvement measures: a case study of Shenzhen River. 2010 China Water Pollution Meeting, Nanchang, China [in Chinese].
2. Qin, H.P., Q. Su, S.T. Khu, Z. Zhao, 2009. Coupled system dynamic and water quality modeling of integrated measures for water environment improvement in an urbanized catchment. P6295-6302, 33rd IAHR 2009 Congress, Vancouver, Canada.
1. Qin, H.P., Q. Su, S.T. Khu, Z. Zhao, W. Wang, Y. Zhang, 2009. Policy simulation of industrial structure adjustment for water environment improvement in urbanized Shenzhen River catchment, China. P7369-7376, 33rd IAHR 2009 Congress, Vancouver, Canada.
CONFERENCE PAPERS (Abstract/Posters/Presentations)
[*leading/corresponding-author, § presenter]
19. Su, Q.§, Rohila, J.S., and Karthikeyan, R., 2023. Do daytime and nighttime temperatures affect rice yield and quality? 2023 Rice Technical Working Group Conference. Hot Springs, AR. Feb 19-23, 2023.
18. Singh, V.P. § and Q. Su., Groundwater Use: Where we are and where we are heading. 9th International Groundwater Conference, India, Nov 2-4, 2022.
17. Ale, S§., Q. Su, J. Singh, S.K. Himanshu, Y. Fan, B. Stoker, E. Gonzalez, B. Sapkota, C. Adams, K. Biggers, E. Kimura, and J. Wall. 2021. idCROP: An Irrigation Decision Support System for Conserving Resources and Optimizing Cotton Production. ASA, CSSA, SSSA International Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT, Nov. 7-10, 2021. https://scisoc.confex.com/scisoc/2021am/prelim.cgi/Paper/135475
16. Sapkota, B§., C. B. Adams, S. Ale, Q. Su, and N. Rajan, 2021. Evaluating the Use of Pivot Irrigation System-Mounted Sensors for Irrigation Management in Cotton. ASA, CSSA, SSSA International Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT, Nov. 7-10, 2021.
15. Su, Q§., S. Ale, S.K. Himanshu, J. Singh, and V.P. Singh. 2021. Improving the reliability of monthly and seasonal weather forecasts of the North American Multi-Model Ensemble (NMME) for regional crop modeling. ASABE Annual Meeting Paper No. 2100540. 12-16 July 2021, Virtual Meeting. [ASABE Oral Presentation Competition Award]
14. Su, Q§., S. Ale, C. Adams, J. Singh, S.K. Himanshu, and V.P. Singh. 2021. Comparison of four crop water stress index models in irrigation scheduling of cotton. ASABE Annual Meeting Paper No. 2100541. 12-16 July 2021, Virtual Meeting.
13. Ale, S§., Q. Su, J. Singh, S.K. Himanshu, Y. Fan, B. Stoker, E. Gonzalez, B. Sapkota, C. Adams, K. Biggers, E. Kimura, and J. Wall. 2021. An irrigation decision support system for Conserving Resources and Optimizing Cotton Production (idCROP). ASABE Annual Meeting Paper No. 2101084. 12-16 July 2021, Virtual Meeting.
12. Singh, J.§, Ale, S., Emi Kimura, S.K. Himanshu, Q. Su, and C. Adam. 2021. Determination of DSSAT-CSM-CROPGRO-Cotton model cultivar coefficients from cotton variety trial data for regional-scale crop yield prediction. ASABE Annual Meeting Paper No. 2100351. 12-16 July 2021, Virtual Meeting.
11. Su, Q*§., H. Dai, H. Chen, Y. Lin, Y. Xie, and R. Karthikeyan, 2019. General equilibrium analysis of co-benefits and trade-offs of carbon mitigation on local industrial water use and pollutants discharge in China, poster presentation Water Daze, Texas A&M University. [Best student poster competition award]
10. Su, Q*§., H. Dai, Y. Lin, H. Chen, and R. Karthikeyan, 2018. An integrated model for carbon-energy-water management in a rapidly urbanizing catchment’, oral presentation at AGU Fall Meeting, Washington, D.C., US, 10-14 Dec. 2018.
9. Su, Q*. and B. Munster§, 2018. The impact of future urban expansion on streamflow in Bryan/College Station, TX, Watershed. SWAT 2018 Conference, Brussels, Belgium, 19-21 Sep. 2018.
8. Su, Q*§. And R. Karthikeyan, 2017. A GIS-based integrated model for water resource management in Texas under climate variability, socio-economic development, and crop irrigation scenarios, poster presentation at GIS Day Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, United States, 16 Nov. 2017.
7. Su, Q*., H. Dai§, Y. Lin, X. Yang, H. Chen, and R, Karthikeyan, 2017. A Computable General Equilibrium (CGE)-based integrated model for water management under CO2 mitigation strategies in a rapidly urbanizing catchment. The 7th Congress of EAAERE, Singapore. 5-7 Aug. 2017.
6. Man, Y§., R.H. Mohtar, and Q. Su*, 2017. A Sustainable Development Policy for Transboundary Mekong River Basin: A System Dynamics and Water Energy Food Nexus Model. XVI IWRA World Water Congress, Cancun, Mexico. 29 May-3 June 2017.
5. Su, Q*§., R. Karthikeyan, and Y. Lin, 2017. An integrated modeling system for water resource management under climate change, socio-economic development, and irrigation Management, poster presentation at AGU fall meeting, New Orleans, LA, United States, 11-15 Dec. 2017.
4. Su, Q*§., H. Dai, and R. Karthikeyan, 2017. Energy-Water-Nexus: An integrated model to support decision making among different sectors, poster presentation at the 2nd Annual Texas A&M Conference on Energy, College Station, TX, United States, 27 Sep. 2017.
3. Su, Q*§. and R. Karthikeyan, 2017. A Computable General Equilibrium (CGE)-based integrated model for water management under CO2 mitigation strategies in a rapidly urbanizing catchment. poster presentation at Water Daze of Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, United States, 4 Apr. 2017. [Best student poster competition award]
2. Qin, H.P§. and Su. Q, 2011. Water Quality and Environmental Flow Management in Rapidly Urbanizing Shenzhen Estuary Area, China. Poster presentation at AGU fall meeting, San Francisco, CA, United States, 5-9 Dec. 2011.
1. H.P., Qin§ and Q., Su, 2010. Cause and effect analysis of water quality, socio-economic development, and environmental improvement measures: a case study of Shenzhen River. China Water Pollution Meeting, Nanchang, China, 23-24 Dec. 2010.
POPULAR PRESS ARTICLES
1. Ale, S., Q. Su, J. Singh, S.K. Himanshu, Y. Fan, B. Stoker, E. Gonzalez, B. Sapkota, C. Adams, K. Biggers, E. Kimura, and J. Wall. 2022. A novel crop model- and sensor-based decision support system for cotton irrigation management. ASABE Resource Magazine.
Web of Science