Incoming Freshman Information
We are delighted that you are interested in becoming a member of the Calhoun Honors College. Please review our Admissions webpages and the Q & A Guide. If you still have questions, please email HonorsAdmissions@clemson.edu and someone will reply to you as soon as possible - usually within 24 hours.
Before submitting your Honors College application, you must first apply to Clemson University Undergraduate Admissions.
Honors Admission Process
PLEASE take great care in reviewing your application BEFORE SUBMITTING. We are NOT able to cancel a submitted application nor can we change the status of your application from submitted to unsubmitted so you can edit your application after submission. The only changes you can make after submission are to upload additional supplemental materials. If, after reading the guide you still have questions, please email HonorsAdmissions@clemson.edu. We are happy to help you with our process!
- Admission to the Calhoun Honors College is by an online application that is separate from, and in addition to, your application to Clemson University and requires your Clemson ID number in order to complete and submit your Honors College application. Clemson University ID numbers are distributed by the office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- To be considered for admission to the Honors College, applicants must have a combined critical reading and math SAT score of at least 1380 (new version) or an ACT score of 30. In exceptional situations, we will consider applications from students who do not fully meet these qualifications.
- Admission to the Honors College is highly selective, with SAT scores historically averaging 1500 (new version) or higher, a 33 on the ACT and applicants typically ranking in the top four percent of their high school class.
- Freshman enrollment in the Honors College is limited to approximately 350 or less than ten percent of the freshman class.
Honors Fee: Students in the Honors College are assessed an Honors Fee, currently $500 per semester. This fee supports new and enhanced Honors College programs and activities which enrich our students' educational experiences inside and outside the classroom.
- *The student application (submitted using the Honors web-based application form)
- **A teacher letter of recommendation form, submitted using the Honors web-based system. Honors applicants are asked to provide recommender contact information within the Honors application.
- **A counselor recommendation (submitted using the Honors web-based system; recommender will receive an email request after student application submitted)
- A current transcript (submitted either by uploading using the Honors web-based system, or by mailing, emailing or faxing directly to Honors)
- SAT or ACT score received and on file by Clemson’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
You can verify receipt of ALL of your Honors application materials, including your College Board score on file by reviewing your ApplyWeb Application Status Portal for your Honors application. This information is available to you immediately upon submission of your Honors application by accessing your aplyweb Clemson Honors Check List.
Important Dates and Deadlines
Below are important dates and deadlines for submitting your Honors College application. Please take note of all deadlines and the resulting notification for Honors admission.
Applications completed between March 2 and April 20 may be considered on a space available basis. However, we cannot guarantee that such applications will receive consideration. Late applicants will be notified of their Honors status on or before April 30. Applications completed after April 20 will not receive consideration.
Honors College application deadlines:
|For Notification By||
Clemson University Undergraduate Application Deadline
Honors College Application* Deadline (submitted online)
Supporting Materials** (submitted online)
|February 15 (11:59 p.m. EST) for Priority Applicants||December 1||December 8 11:59 p.m. EST||December 15, 11:59 p.m. EST|
|April 1 (11:59 p.m. EST) for Non-Priority Applicants||February 15||February 22, 11:59 p.m. EST||March 1, 11:59 p.m. EST|
Other Important Dates
|Priority appeal submission deadline***||March 1|
|Priority appeal decision notification||April 1|
|Non-priority appeal submission deadline***||April 15|
|Non-priority appeal decision notification||April 30|
* The Honors College application must be submitted using the web-based form.
** The required supporting materials are a teacher recommendation, a counselor recommendation, and current transcript. You must also have a College Board score on file with Clemson’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions. You DO NOT need to submit your College Board score directly to the Honors College. The two recommendations must be submitted using the web-based form (recommenders will receive a request via email when students submit their applications). Honors prefers that the transcript be uploaded using the web-based form by either the applicant or a counselor, but transcripts can be emailed, faxed or mailed to the Honors College at:
Calhoun Honors College
511D Fort Hill Street
Clemson, SC 29634-5106
Fax Number 864-656-1472
With the exception of the transcript, we are unable to accept ANY Honors application support materials submitted to us by mail, email, fax or digital credential servies such as Naviance, Parchment or Docufide.
***The link to the Honors admission Reconsideration Form is located in the applicant's ApplyWeb Clemson Honors Check. The Check List is stored in the applicant's ApplyWeb applicant status portal found here: http://www.applyweb.com/cgi-bin/ustat.
Note: To graduate with Honors Distinction students must complete the requirements for General and/or Departmental Honors. See specific requirements for Honors Programs listed in the Honors Student Handbook (PDF).
Clemson's Merit Based Scholarship Program
National Scholars Program
The National Scholars Program (NSP) is Clemson's premier undergraduate, merit-based scholarship program. The NSP provides a competitive scholarship for eight semesters of undergraduate study. While not a part of the Calhoun Honors College, the NSP bases finalist selection on rigorous reviews of the Honors application. Click here for information about the NSP selection process and timeline; the NSP follows the earlier Honors priority deadlines. For more information visit the National Scholars Program website.